Sunday, January 21, 2007 4:27 pm Daniel J. Summers
We take a break from the normal political and social issue discussion to cover a very important topic - food! The dish named in the title above was served in Sunday School this morning, and so many people wanted the recipe that I thought I'd post it here. Enjoy!
- 1 bag of Frozen Hashbrowns
- 1 lb. Sausage
- 1 can Cream of Chicken Soup
- 8 oz. Sour Cream
- 1/2 stick Butter
- 2 cups (8 oz.) Medium or Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 1 small Onion
- Melt the butter.
- If the cheese is not shredded, shred it.
- Peel and chop the onion. The smaller the pieces, the more even the flavor will be.
- In a large bowl, mix the butter, soup, sour cream, and onion, adding salt and pepper to taste.
- Fold in almost the entire bag of hashbrowns. The best way to do this is about a third at a time - mix them in, then add more. They may mix more easily if they have defrosted somewhat before this point. (Using the entire bag will make the casserole a little dry.)
- Mix in 1 cup of shredded cheese, then mix in the sausage.
- Spread the mix evenly into a 9x13 (or equivalent) baking dish.
At this point, the casserole may be put into the oven, if it has been pre-heated, or it may be refrigerated for later cooking. If the casserole sits uncooked in the refrigerator overnight, the flavors blend together more than they do if it is cooked immediately.
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- Place the casserole in the oven, and cook for 45-60 minutes (depending on how frozen hashbrowns are and how oven cooks).
- Remove the casserole from the oven, and add the remaining cup of shredded cheese evenly on the top.
- Return to the oven for 5 minutes to melt the cheese.
- Remove from oven, and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
Wow - anyone else hungry now?